From REALTOR.com’s Daily Real Estate News
Homeowners who want to sell but don’t have a lot of cash to spruce up their properties might consider these tips from Bankrate.com for upgrading a property without spending a fortune.
- Polish up the kitchen. Add new cabinet door handles, replace lighting and update the faucet set. Unless the cabinets are mica, give them a fresh coat of paint. Order new doors for kitchen appliances.
- Tidy up the bath. Replace the toilet seat. Clean up the floor with vinyl tiles or sheet vinyl applied over the old floor. Re-grout the tub and, if the tub is dingy, add a new prefabricated tub and shower surround.
- Paint the walls.
- Add closet systems to all the bedrooms, pantry, and entry closets.
- Hire a plumber and an electrician to fix anything that is loose or that leaks.
- Clean the carpets or, if they are worn, cover them with area rugs.
- Replace ceiling lights with inexpensive but attractive fixtures.
- Refinish or repaint the front door and replace the hardware.
- Mow the lawn, edge the sidewalks, mulch all the beds and put two big planters at either side of the front door.
For more information on how to fix up your home, go to our Media section and Download our Home Seller’s Handbook.